If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (303) 777-6498

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Do Commercial Building Tenants Need To Worry About Flood Damage?

10/30/2019 (Permalink)

Air mover placed on a hallway school School flood cleanup restoration in Littleton, CO

Do Commercial Building Tenants Need To Worry About Flood Damage?

If you rent a building as a business owner, you may be wondering what after a natural disaster. Are you responsible for the storm cleanup, or will your landlord pay for it?
Residential tenants are typically responsible for their personal belongings within their apartment, while landlords will pay for damages to the building itself. The same concept applies to commercial properties. A commercial renter's insurance policy can cover damage to the contents of the building. The property owner, meanwhile, is responsible for the structure along with any services provided as part of their contract with the tenant, including:

  • Wiring
  • Appliances
  • Plumbing
  • Flooring


You may need to relocate your office temporarily while the repairs are being performed. Your insurance coverage should pay for the cost of this relocation. You likely will not have to pay rent to your commercial landlord until you move back into your original building.


A regular commercial renter's insurance policy does not always include flood coverage. If you are worried about flood damage to your building, be sure to purchase a separate flood policy from the National Flood Insurance Program.

Landlord Responsibilities

Your property owner should make the commercial building habitable as soon as possible. If you do not think the repairs are being made within a reasonable time period, you can contact authorities or consider withholding your rent until the work is complete. You can also just pay for the repairs yourself, though this may affect your company's bottom line.
After a storm, flood cleanup and restoration professionals can help repair a commercial property and the contents inside. Your renter's insurance should cover the costs of drying and cleaning furniture, electronics and documents within the building. The landlord's insurance, meanwhile, will cover storm damage to the actual structure. By working with your landlord after a disaster, you should be able to keep your Littleton, CO, business running.

Other News

View Recent Posts